Sunday 23 February 2014

People


Over the weekend I was helping Sir with the admissions of the new batch of students. For those of you who don’t know about the madness we faced, read it over here. It is almost the same every year. I won’t talk about this yearly madness and hysteria and repeat what Pupu had already said. Just that over the years, the numbers of students as well as the weirdness of the parents have increased.

I will be talking about my experiences with people. I encountered at least 200 parents over two days, and I met all kinds: the polite ones, the arrogant for no reason ones, the good hearted ones, the “my son is so smart” ones, the hyper ones, the no non-sense ones and the ones who argue without logic and in vain.

The admissions were supposed to begin from 10 in the morning. Some parents were waiting from 7 in the morning! I empathise with the poor kids. I know how irritating it is to wake up early in the morning and especially when it is technically still winter! These are the early birds by the way. They come with the hope of catching the worm, and yes they do so too. They get to choose the best convenient batches for their kids and happily go home relieved. I would put them in the hyper ones category too. They worry too much. For the good maybe. But then waiting there for three hours? What is the point? They could come half an hour before and still catch the worm.

As soon as we opened the gates, a father came rushing to me with a notepad in hand. He gave me the notepad and with a kind but nervous smile said, “These are the boys who will be admitted today.” He had listed fourteen names and thought he could get all the fourteen admitted at once, all by himself. I was so overtaken by his good helpful heart that I had difficulty telling him that we needed all the 14 parents and the boys to be present there. When I finally told him that, he seemed a bit disappointed, but very kindly apologised and said that he would immediately call them and ask them to come over. In my list, he falls under the polite as well as the good hearted ones. I mean, look at him. So kind. So rare.

One very common thing was that, the parents did not bring along their son or daughter. For heaven’s sake, this does not require much brain or logic! They are the ones who would get admitted, not the parents. They would choose the batches. They would read the rules. But of course, how can they come over for even one hour? They have their final exams going on. No not even the board exams. Just the ones which we have to take to get promoted from class 8 to class 9. I wonder what they did all the year round that they can’t even spare one hour for something which they consider so important. I don’t remember studying so much and so hard ever in my life and I was not one of those brainy kids either, and I still sailed through school and college. Either the kids have become unusually dumb or the exams are really tough these days.

Then there was this mother who after looking at the choices of batches, came over to me and said, “Batch four for now.” I tried explaining to her that she can’t decide to put her son in one batch “for now” and then request for a change in mid-session. She was too arrogant to listen (I don’t know where her arrogance came from though.).  She cut me off mid-sentence and said, “My driver is not available on that day. I can’t help it. Sir will have to change my son’s batch. I will make him do it. I did that during my daughter’s time too. And if he doesn't, my son will discontinue from his coaching. Not a big deal!” I was shocked by her arrogance, overwhelmed by her confidence and irritated by her attitude. I sat there gaping at her. Yes I did that. With my mouth open, I stared at her wide eyed. Obviously she was blinded by her own aura to notice me.  Clearly she falls in the arrogant ones category.

While the parents were waiting for their turn to come, I overheard one mother telling another, “My son is so smart; he takes his maths exam by himself.”  Yes of-course she deserves to be proud of her son. Who takes their own exams “by themselves”?  We used to hire people to take exams for us. Hence we passed. Otherwise, our futures would have been in the gutters.

The evenings were the most entertaining as well as tiring. Every child and parent wanted the Sunday batch. Some wanted it because their darling daughters can’t come to tuition without her friends. Some wanted it because then daddy could become the driver. Some wanted it because they stayed too far away (Yes, I don’t know how the distance will be reduced because it is a Sunday.). Naturally, by evening the Sunday batch was full. Some parents were reasonable enough to understand that and choose from the remaining three batches. Some would request in a meek voice with a small light of hope that something could be done. And some would just argue. With us and with Sir as well. As we were trying to explain to one father that Sunday batch is just not available and we could do nothing and there was no point bothering Sir with it, he thought we were not “allowing” him to talk to Sir (I was a little happy inside, because after all he thought I was the boss, and I decide who Sir talks too. I tell you, it is rare that people think of me that way.). In spite of all our tries to explain to him, that there was actually no point, Sir could not help it; he went inside and called for a tongue lashing from Sir. Firstly, for talking to us like that, and secondly for not listening (very few people listen these days, anyway.). This same nagging for the Sunday batch happened repeatedly and every time it got on our nerves, Sir would help us with his most needed stern warnings to the parents. If Sir’s tuition and Sir is so important to anyone, they shouldn't have any problem coming to any batch right? Five years ago, I did not have to nag and haggle and cry and argue.  It just took me five minutes to sign and pay the fees and get out of there.

One father however had a strange reason for wanting the Sunday batch so badly. “My daughter can come to your tuition only by car, and that car is available only on Sunday,” he said. (I gave another of my mouth opened, eyes wide expression.) Also he had the guts to tell this to Sir. Someone, who travelled all his childhood and most of his youth by public transports, Travelled in an A.C compartment for the first time when he was going for his honeymoon, travelled by a car only when he could afford to buy one himself, and never felt the need to send his daughter by car to school or any tuition (Pupu stays in Kolkata now and comes over almost every weekend by bus all by herself to spend time with dad. She is just two years older than this man’s daughter.). I wonder are the kids more nyaka these days or is it the parents who would never allow them to grow up? And then these parents would go out of Sir’s place (after admitting their child anyway), and say, “Suvro Sir is so rude.” Really now! Don’t you think you called for that rudeness? Try talking to him politely and reasonably, you would get the same reception.

 Most of Sir's "friends" who haven't spoken to him for like some 20-25 years, suddenly remember him when their sons and daughters need to be admitted in his tuition. Sir, being the gentleman he is, would smile and treat them quite well. However it became awkward, when those "friends", would come and tell Pupu how he had seen her as a kid and how she played in his lap. Pupu looked at them blankly and gave them a fake smile. That is all they deserved I tell you. It is strange how selfish, people can be. They just remember even their friends only when they need them. They are not even ashamed to come and ask for a favour after not even acknowledging Sir if they happen to pass by him. And then it is Sir who becomes rude, when he refuses to give them a special favour. 

Then there were Sir’s present students from class 10, who had come over to help us. They were our comic relief. One of them, a really smart but humble soul, was so excited every time she saw a car stopping in front of the house, that she would jump up and run towards the gate, shouting, “Look look more students are coming!” No sooner did a parent park his bike, than she would hand him a token and very seriously ask, “Yes, what is the student’s name?” Good for her and for us that the parents did not start thinking that she was handing them parking tokens.

Another one made us laugh and forget our irritations by blatantly passing comments about how fat a dad was or how ugly a girl was, or how short and small a boy was for his age. The best part was she had found at least six dadas cute. She just could not decide who was cuter, and who the cutest. However Pupu pulled the trump card here. We were talking about a certain girl in her school whom she did not like. While commenting on that girl’s nature, she said, “She is nothing more than a fox.”(For my Bengali readers, Khyanksheyal is the exact word she used.) Unfortunately she was staring towards the gate, and her loud uttering of the fox reference, coincided with a father entering. It seemed like she was calling the poor father a fox. I don’t know if he heard her, but if he did, he would surely warn his son/daughter to stay away from Sir’s daughter and all his ex-students.

Coming across all these people was fun, but then it felt strange. Five years ago(it still feels like yesterday though) I was on the other side of this table. I had come over to get admitted, and I was honestly happy, that I had come to a teacher who was not grumpy. He definitely was not rude, like most of my classmates told me, and he was very polite and kind and patient. Now when I am on the other side of the table, I know what it feels like. I know why Sir is rude with some. I know why Sir shouts at some and I know exactly why he is polite and kind to most.

I hope that at least some kids who got admitted, would some day be lucky enough to enjoy what several of us, male and female, 15 to 28, got to enjoy today-- Sir's ability to make us feel comfortable and good around him even while we were working, his own  daughter and us all together. Any ex student of his can get it if s/he wants it, I think: all it needs is a genuine desire to get close to Sir without hangups, which he himself makes terribly easy, actually. If anyone is missing out on that, it's entirely their fault. They never reached out the right way.

When people we know for years can stop talking to us or cut us off completely without any reason, complete strangers can surprise us. Two weeks ago while I was coming home from Sir’s place by bus, I had offered my seat to an elderly man. He was very pleased and we had a conversation. Yesterday, he had come over to my place. He remembered me, took the pain to find out my house and come and pay me a visit. He brought me a small gift too. That was really heart-warming and very sweet of him. Rarely do we meet nice people these days, who mean it when they say that they like you. I am glad that I have been lucky to come across this rare category of nice people in my life. People like my dad, my Sir and this gentleman. And to all those Women, who shout and say, "Men are pigs, lechers and rapists!", I would say, they attract such men towards them. I pity such women. They are deprived from this happiness of basking in the love and care of wonderful men. 

 I have lost track of the categories long back. I think, as you read about the people I have talked about, you can mentally categorise them anyway. It is fun doing that I assure you. Enjoy!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

You have touched on so many aspects of people's behavior with their so called ambitions or aspirations for their kids, its tough to comment on any single thing Sriranjani, except of course expressing my shock and amazement in reading about some of their reactions. I would have loved to observe some of these face to face like you did. I don't know if my counter-reaction would have any different than yours.
I don't know what it used to during the start of new sessions in cities like Durgapur or say even Kolkata a few years back, as i didn't have to hassle too much in a small town of Kharagpur. I can still understand the angst among the parents these days with so much competition around (or created for no reason we can say too). But its difficult to understand the fuss around which batch to enroll in, choice of transport, which friends to accompany and so on..
It's difficult to find a good teacher-relationship today with the learn-by-rote crowd taking prominence with every passing year. I really hated the experience of sitting in a herd of 30 guys in a coaching class, taking copious notes in some of the coaching classes i regret to have attended in the past.
Before i make a post out of this myself, i would like to say that i really like your touch of humor in depicting the comical situations you faced. Must have an experience of a lifetime! :)

Subhadip Dutta said...

It was a lot of fun being there over the weekend Sriranjani. We worked together, and so I was witness to everything that happened there.

Yes, there were things that really were shameful for parents to do and say. I found some parents had come just because they had heard from somebody that there is somebody called Suvro Sir who has the magic wand, and who has the power to help students score good marks in the examinations irrespective of whether they study or not. It was strange how parents went in to meet Sir without even reading the instruction leaflet that was shared with them, that too even after your and my repeatedly telling them that they would find themselves very uncomfortable in front of Sir if they chose not to read the leaflet.

The over confident ones and the ill-mannered ones were dealt with quite rightly by Sir. I believe they deserved what they got. Here however, I felt bad for the students who had come to get admitted - I could clearly read from their faces that they were ashamed of the way their parents were behaving, and were getting their share of treatment from Sir. Quite natural, isn't it? Which again helps make my belief all the more strong that adults, whatever they may say about honour and prestige, are actually the ones who do not know how to behave, and pass the same traits on to their children. Children actually do have some sense about how to speak and behave with whom, and it is the regular 'grooming' of the parents that gradually fades these good senses out of the children.

But again, there were many who were good and courteous. They behaved properly with us, behaved properly in front of Sir, and followed all the rules.

Overall it was a good experience! :)


-- Subhadip.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thank you, both, Sriranjani and Subhadip. A post like this was long overdue, and only Pupu had attempted it before. Another perspective was needed.

Subhadip, you are so right! Read the quotation from Sigmund Freud that is a permanent fixture at the bottom of my blog! So many children are actually much better than their parents. It is my biggest regret that far too many of them grow up to become clones of those parents...

And how I wish for a world where courtesy and consideration would be the norm rather than the exception. I could have been so much gentler and more amiable with people that way, which is what I so badly want to be!

Sir

Shameek M said...

A very well compiled post, that covered almost all that we faced over the weekend!! Some people were good and courteous , while some were really ignorant and irritating but overall , it was a good experience :) I had always heard from Sir about such experiences happening at the time of the admissions, but it was the first time I got to witness these!!

And I completely agree with what Subhadip Da said in the later part of his comment : " Children actually do have some sense about how to speak and behave with whom, and it is the regular 'grooming' of the parents that gradually fades these good senses out of the children. "

With regards ,
Shameek..

Debarshi_Saha said...

Dear Sriranjani,

Warm regards. This was a wonderful read for me, and I must thank you for that indeed! It reads so well, and has a natural flow of events to it- the best and maybe most difficult part in any write-up! See, at the end of the day, there's such a simple truth hidden behind it all- No matter how cut-throat, dog-eat-dog, arrogant society might become; everywhere the good and the humane persons are the only ones deserving respect, because they know how to treasure the same qualities in others. Ultimately, Sir's classes taught me much more than the language- but most importantly, the ways to really try and live a good, useful life! It is the love that stays on, I believe. :)

You might not recognize me, but maybe Sir will tell you more. All the same, thank you for writing this and making me feel all nice!

With best wishes,
Debarshi

Sriranjani said...

Debarshi Da,

Thank you for reading my post and appreciating it. Yes I agree with you, that at the end of the day, we respect and love only those who deserve it. But what is sad is, it takes so much effort to find these people. They are the ones who are the most humble. The wrong kind of people, are all over the place with their silly arrogance and pompousness. Hence the impression that there are only bad people around.

I have heard about you from Sir. I am glad that Sir's students find my blog worth reading and commenting. Many thanks to you.

Take care

Sriranjani.