Wednesday 19 February 2014

Inspiring People To Read

Giving Birthday gifts was not a big problem ten years ago. Back then kids used to read. It was very convenient to gift a good book and be sure that it would be appreciated. Now it is a pain thinking about a birthday gift. You can’t give a book, because reading is “uncool”.

I was glad to see that some websites like the amazon and The Guardian are making a desperate effort to get people back to reading. amazon  had come out with this list  of 100 books to read in a life time. The Telegraph had come out with this list  of 100 novels that everyone should read and The Guardian had come out with this one about the 1000 novels every one must read. I remember coming across another interesting list of 30 books one should read before turning 30 (I can't find the article any more).

However I came across this one published by The Millions and found it very interesting. They give us a list of the 28 books we should read. The way they have given the list is quite interesting. It appeals to you more because they have touched a personal string. They say that you should read the book which you see someone reading in a train and trying to hide the smile. Or the book which you hear two booksellers arguing about. Or you should read the book whose main character’s name starts with the same letter as yours. And the one you find in the seat pocket of an air plane you are travelling in. In the list are many other interesting points about which book you can read.

It is sensible of the author not to throw names of books at the readers and tell them to read those books. Considering  that most people like to hold on to memories, it would appeal to many that the author of this list had asked us to read the book which was given by our parents after we graduated, or the book we did not read as a part of our high school text. And some might actually go back to the old cupboards and look up for the old dust covered books. Even if they don't end up reading it, memories of those old times would make them smile. Worth it I must say.

As I hope that such lists would appeal to the greater mass who don’t read, and inspire them to read some books, if not all 28, I feel sad that now we need a reason, a list to read books. Earlier it used to be a hobby and the only reason we as kids needed was: “reading makes us happy!”

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A very interesting list indeed! Got me to think what about a few more. Sharing here what i came up in 10 mins thought:

a. You should read books which you can relate to your own life's incidents/story (after going through the back cover synopsis)

b. You should read books based on a totally unknown phenomena to you

c. You should read books that people usually don't find time or interest to read about these days (Like on spirituality or say Vivekananda's lectures)

d. You should read books that can make a long train journey pass away smoothly before you notice

e. You should read books that has inspired a non-writer to write because of an extra-ordinary incident that happened to him/her

Sriranjani said...

Dear Arnab,
I am glad that I could make you think. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. If only many others could find the same joy in reading as the few of us do.

By the way, Arnab, I was wondering, how did you come across my blog? Thank you for reading me and commenting.

Regards,
sriranjani.

Shubhranka Mondal said...

Okay Sriranjini, I will not begin with a 'dear', 'hello' or 'hi'. I am actually quite jealous because of the fact that you get to meet Sir so often even today and get such encouraging insights to write on or at least ponder about.
Second, I absolutely love the post on the 'sea' and you know exactly why.
Third the post on dog is charming. But I am pretty scared of dogs. I have two rabies vaccines pending next month for no fault of mine. Yes, a mad dog bit me sometimes back.
The Auroville photo is very dear to me. And as I always tell you- you should be there at least a second time. This country doesn't have a better bakery.
Happy writing.
Love and regards,
Shubhranka