Wednesday 19 March 2014

About Books and Reading Again

I happened to come across this. Generally I ignore such buzzfeed lists, but then this one was about the stages of a “book addict”, so I decided to glance through it.

Yes reading is an addiction, true and as I go through this list I realise I have gone through most of these stages. I have bought a book on a whim either because everyone was talking about it or because no one was talking about it. And I swear most of the times, I liked those books which few people talked about, or cared to read. But then may be people around me hardly read good books.

Then comes the next stage where either I am hooked on to the book and don’t want to put it down, or it is one of those books which you want to beat your head with because you bought it. I had also sometimes taken the responsibility of promoting the book I like among the people around me. I remember how I went around telling each and every one I knew to buy and read Shantaram.  Sadly very few people enjoyed it. I spent hours trying to figure out why they did not like this book, but then someone told me, “It is such a fat book…” After that I gave up thinking. I knew the reasons.

When I like a book, every idle minute seems like a minute wasted. I remember how I regretted not carrying The Little Prince to school, because there were free periods when I could have read pages.  But I agree the best reading happens may be after 11 PM. True, it is very annoying when so many people looks at you bewildered because you are reading a book while waiting for a bus or travelling in a metro.

Then when you are almost towards the end of the book, comes in the dilemma. I mean I know the book is so good that I am going to miss reading it once I am done with it, but then again, I want to know how it ends. This happened with me while I was reading A Palace of Illusions.

Drifting to the world of the book happens to me often, and then getting attached to the characters of that book. Feeling their pain, being sad for them, being happy in their happiness, Feeling their longing, their love. And then the change in opinion about a character as the story advances. Like I am almost done with Cuckold now, and I felt so many things for Maharaj Kumar and so many things for Kausalya (No I won’t go on about them over here. I don’t plan to write about the book in bits and parts in all my posts.).

I am sure some of you will be able to connect to this list and appreciate it may be. But what is sad is very few people read these days. And I will tell you what is sadder. People buy well known books, so that they can just flaunt it. Ask them to talk about it, and they would become very busy. And what hurts "book addicts" like us is the fact that we lend books happily, to encourage reading, but then people either don't return those books or return them after soiling them beyond recognition. For Heaven's sake, when would they understand that books are like a part of the heart we are giving out?!  I think they never will... Facebook-ing and texting and shopping and other trivialities are more important. When I ask my students to write about their favourite authors and books, they look at me blankly. My heart aches…


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sriranjani, among the kind of animal species getting endangered with time, 'real' book lovers is one of them, on the very top maybe. I have been lucky to have a few childhood friends who have inspired me to read good books. Some of them still do, but majority of them have got busy with life. May be the right thing is to say is - they lost that self-actualization feeling that used to come after reading a book. I don't entirely blame them (myself included), since the circumstances they find themselves in now is totally different from what it is used to.

As you pointed out, the thing is that just like writing feels good when someone reads it or appreciates it, or like a player who gets his motivation from a stadium full of cheering crowd, the book lovers like us need like-minded people with whom we can joyfully share the story, the thrill we went through while reading it and form an entire debate around it. Alas, in my case for the last couple of years I can say, I have found mostly people (who atleast read some) who read a Business/Management/inspiring book to ‘gain insights’ from them. The fiction genre is a totally fantasy world for them which they don't want to thrive in and hence find it totally waste. It's not that I despise those books but it's really sad that they lack the emotional touch in their own character by seemingly loathing any kind of fiction that they can’t relate themselves with , let alone getting attached to the characters which you do. I won’t offer an excuse, but I would say the presence of these people around me , who are otherwise good in many sense but not when it comes to books, has let me veer away quite a bit from my own book reading habit which I am feel proud to have acquired at first place.

There is a really nice website which I like is ‘Goodreads.com’. People share some really good reviews there which has made me aware of a lot of books which I was not even aware of. I have ticked on a list of books I would like to read (for a long time sadly, and it’s high time I should get on with it!). Am quite sure you know about it yourself, if not please check it..

learning and growing said...

Dear Sriranjani di,
Recently my friends and i were discussing about reading as a lost art and many of my friends said that the reason was books are adapted into films.I disagreed and so did they but after a few days when we had a seminar titled 'Fiction to Films' and a detailed study made us all realize that directors most of the times exclude parts from the novel when they make a film so as to reach a larger audience and earn a quick profit.Unfortunately they often exclude significant characters and parts.Majority sticks to Chetan Bhagat writings simply because they cannot think beyond it.My favourite authors are mainly Indian writers like Amitav Ghosh,Chitra Banerjee,Jhumpa Lahri,Arundhuti Roy,and Archer,D.H Lawrence,Dickens among others.And i could actually connect with you because even i find it difficult to put down a good book and even i felt bad when i could not carry the novel 'The Bridge Across Forever',to school despite getting free periods.People call me a nerd and i consider myself lucky for that because i think i know a world which they do not and i am proud to be a book addict.
Regards,
Kamalika

Sriranjani said...

Kamalika,

I am glad that you can relate to this post. Very few people actually can. Worse still,I hear my students saying, "Books make us sleepy."

I strongly believe a movie always spoils the book. Be it the Feluda stories, or Bomkyesh Bakshi or Kakababu or Chander Pahaar (God! that was horrible.). But then again, people get to know about the books from the movies. So I have a small hope that they will go back home, look for the book and may be try to read it.

I read this somewhere, and will remember this for a long long time, "The door bell rang on a stormy night.Book went and opened the door. It was a small voice asking for forgiveness. It was the movie."

Do keep reading, Kamalika. It is a habit a very few of us can be proud of.

Sriranjanidi.