Sunday 22 December 2013

The Old Friend I Miss...

One year in Chennai, and the only friend I miss today is the Sea. When I first met him(Yes the Sea was more than just a natural water body.), he was very apprehensive may be. He made me walk for about 15 minutes before I actually saw his waves glittering in the moonlight. It was a full moon night, and I was in Marina Beach (There are three beaches in Chennai, that I know of: Marina, Eliots and Thiruvanmayur.). That was my first and last visit to Marina Beach. Being the lazy person I am, I was not ready to walk so much on the sand, to get to the Sea.

During my 2nd semester, I was suddenly over taken by an urge for exercise. I remember someone saying that, cycling on the sand makes you really really fit. I decided to go cycling on the Eliots beach. That was just 15 minutes away from my college campus.

I regularly went there before sunrise, but never cycled on the sand. I sat there on the sand and watched the Sea. That was the beginning of our relationship. I remember walking close to the water, and he, came gently near me and kissed my feet. It was such a pleasant and welcoming gesture that I went closer, and then he threw himself all over me. I was drenched to the bone but I was smiling gladly. That was his acceptance.
I was solely dependent on Him, since then. I would go to Him, when I was sad. I would sit by him and  just talk. Looking him in the eye, I would just talk. Sometime in my mind, sometimes aloud (more often than not I would get stares from annas and Akkas for they probably thought I have lost my mind.).

He was my friend, lover and confidant. I would go visit him everyday, tell him everything that was bothering me. Plunge myself in his arms, and just let go off myself, going up and down with the waves. I would pick up shells, with the kids selling raw mangoes. I would run on the beach, chasing the stray dogs. And on some rather lonely day, I would just sit there looking at the vastness and think nothing.

He had his mood swings too. Some days, the Sea would just retreat. Go far away from me and sulk and frown. I just couldn't connect with him on those days. He just won’t listen to me, and I couldn't talk. He behaved like one of those best friends, who would be annoyed with you, but won’t tell you what you have done to annoy him. He just drove me away from him, on those days.

Then came Neelam (The cyclone that had hit the southern coast of India.). My old friend was at his majestic best that day. I had sneaked out of the college, bribing the security anna, with a packet of smoke. As I stood on the road, I saw a different avatar of the Sea. I have never seen anything more beautiful and scary than that. The waves rose almost 6 ft. high and crashed down with graceful anger. The sky was black and the wind blew all the sand up in the air. My friend was in a fury. One of those anger fits when you feel like destroying everything that comes in your way and just establishing your power. Such was the anger of the Sea. That day, I knew, I have seen my friend in all his forms. Calm, annoyed, upset and finally angry.

The Sea was a great teacher to me as well. He taught me first to accept. To accept people in your circle the way they are. Without judging them. He taught me to listen. Patiently. Without interrupting the thoughts of another person. He taught me to take in every word because it was important to listen. He taught me to love selflessly, without expecting anything in return. Loving by just being there.

He taught me to give till it hurts. He gives so much to so many people. He is a means of livelihood for some. Means of entertainment for many, and for the likes of me, a friend, a shoulder to cry on. He just gives, endlessly. He taught me to take a stand. To make myself heard, and to bow down and accept my fault when I am wrong.

When I was leaving Chennai, I knew that If I would miss anyone, it would be the Sea. After one year of leaving Chennai, I still miss my old friend when I am sad, or happy or just need someone to talk to.
The first time I met him on a moonlit night. (Marina Beach)
Before leaving Chennai. (Eliots beach)

3 comments:

Subhajit said...

Aptly described here about the sea.I myself enjoy the sea here in Chennai thoroughly. It has a story of its own I believe but very few can understand it.

Sriranjani said...

Hi Subhajit,

Thank you for commenting. I was beginning to believe that my blog is just imaginary.
I am glad that you could feel the Sea. whenever I think of Chennai, I miss the him.. I hope you have many pleasant memories to reminiscent about.

Regards,
Sriranjani.

Subhajit said...

Hi Sriranjini,

Never be disheartened by the apathy shown by people towards you.Just proceed to where your heart telks you and you will find true bliss.Again thank you for such a beautifully written blog.

Thanks,
Subhajit